J. A. Komensky Museum of Pedagogy

11-12 2010 Kultura English
obálka čísla

This museum is one of the oldest Czech museums. It was founded in 1892 by Czech educators to preserve and document the history of Czech educational endeavors.

Today it is a noteworthy educational research center. It is located in two buildings, namely in the houses called U zlateho slunce and U zlateho sifu.

The present exhibition entitled "Legacy of J.A. Komensky" deals with the Czech cultural contributions to European culture in the arts and sciences. It starts with the early Christian era, continues through the time of founding of Charles University, the golden age of Humanism, the Baroque, the 18th and 19th centuries and deals with the history of Czech education up to the present times. It contains numerous texts, photographs, pictures, maps. etc. The most valuable items are the writings of Komensky( who is also known as J. A .COMENIUS in many other countries). Exhibited here are: The Eight Language Dictionary of 1585, Orbis Pictus, Janua Linguorum Reserata, and Vestibulum.

The exhibition also includes portraits of the de Greer Family members who were Komensky’s patrons and benefactors for many years in his exile in Holland. There are paintings of Louys de Greer III (1555-1602), of Louyse IV (1587-1652), of Lousans de Greer(1614-1666) whom Komensky called the” strongest bond of the de Greer family.

In 1997 Wally de Greer van Juthaans- Bom donated the whole portrait collection to the museum in Naarden. A catalog about the Family de Greer by V. Habrlant is also available.

Olga Szymanska
Abstract by Marie Dolanska

Vydavatelem Českého dialogu je Mezinárodní český klub

Informace o webu

jeja.cz 2012